A grieving mother is calling for more to be done to prevent overdoses at festivals, after a recent study shows that UK drug deaths have doubled in almost thirty years.
Janine Milburn took action after her daughter, Georgia, passed away after taking two MDMA pills at Mutiny festival in Portsmouth.
The mother of six suggests that young people are becoming more exposed to drug culture than ever before, as it’s “become normalised”.
She believes more festival goers are choosing drugs over booze because “it’s a lot cheaper”.
“With the internet, snapchat, things like that, it’s in their face a bit more”
Janine Milburn, mum
Janine is determined to make a change by setting up her own charity- ‘Georgia Jones Don’t Go With The Flo’- running workshops for parents, helping to educate people online about the risks and visiting schools to raise greater awareness.
If you have any concerns at your childs school, or just think your school , group , club or a group of parents would benifit. Please just ask for any details 💛💛
She warns festival goers to be wary of high, pure pills, reminds them that “you’ve got the ingredients to worry about as well as the strength,” and is an advocate of front-of-house testing offered by The Loop.
It has been two years since the 18-year-old’s death. However, this tragedy is no anomaly with data showing an 80% increase in women dying from taking ecstasy between 2010 to 2018.
The number of drug related deaths in the UK is constantly increasing, with MDMA being responsible for over 413 deaths since 2010. The death rates between men and women are also increasing at an alarming rate. Since 2010, female deaths from MDMA have risen by 800%, whilst male deaths from the drug have increased by over 1000%.
“They Need to know what lottery they are engaged in.”
Steve hill, pharmacologist at The University of Nottingham
There were suggestions that Georgia’s drugs may have been contaminated. Both of her pills could have included as much as 600mg of pure MDMA each – which, in Georgia’s case, was a life-threatening dose.
Janine explains, “Georgia’s [pills] were extreme high strength. Roughly each tablet was three times the strength I believe…so she had no hope at all.”
Rob Hill, a Pharmacologist at the University of Nottingham explains that drugs can be cut with dangerous ingredients: for example; washing powder, rat poison and crushed up plaster of Paris”.
Current #harmreduction advice: For ecstasy pills #StartWithQuarterAndSipWater because even 1/4 cld be a small adults' dose | For MDMA crystal/powder #CrushDabWait 👟👇🕑 because it's a rough measure of a dose in a club | see the Loop's website for more details | #StartLowGoSlow pic.twitter.com/HCdDY70rjR
— The Loop (@WeAreTheLoopUK) March 8, 2020