A sculpture of Nottinghamshire’s first female MP is being unveiled today.
The work features Florence Paton, which is being installed in the Garden of the Blind, in Carlton, Nottingham, as part of the celebration of International Women’s Day.
Designed by Hilary Cartmel, it includes details of miner’s picks, a lamp and books as well as the official logo of the Houses of Parliament.
This is to represent her connection to the borough, her work with education and her campaign for mining rights.
Florence Paton, was a Labour Party politician and a Member of Parliament from 1945 to 1950. She represented the Rushcliffe constituency in this time, which included Gedling, Colwick and Carlton.
Formerly a school teacher, Paton’s political beliefs were based around her desire for better mining conditions as well as for improved health services for women and children.
She also fought for educational rights, specifically for children with special needs.