A flat fire which broke out yesterday (29 November) on the third-floor of a city centre building was allegedly caused by an overheating hairdryer.

Emergency services were called to the Student Hideout accommodation on South Parade, on Old Market Square, just after 1pm.

Speaking to CBJ News, Curtis Ryan, a second-year Politics student at NTU, said fire crews attending the incident told him it was caused by a hairdryer overheating in his friend’s bedroom.

He said people at the scene were also led to believe that the explosion of a nearby aerosol can further fuelled the fire.

Audio: NTU student Curtis Ryan told CBJ News what he was told caused the fire

“I HEARD A LOUD METALLIC BANG COME FROM THE CORRIDOR…THERE WAS SMOKE POURING OUT FROM UNDER THE BEDROOM DOOR”
CURTIS RYAN, NTU STUDENT

“I heard a loud metallic bang come from the corridor so I went outside and all the smoke alarms went off,” Ryan said. “There was thick black smoke pouring out from under room 3 – my mate Josh’s room – and we realised he wasn’t in so we couldn’t get entry.

“Immediately I called the fire brigade and as I did the smoke was getting thicker and thicker, it was tough to breathe,” he added.

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service have said that nobody was injured in the fire and that an official investigation into the cause is now underway.