Commuters have been stranded after widespread delays to public transport causing traffic and travel chaos following a fire at Nottingham train station and a police incident on Waverley Street.

Sixty firefighters were needed to tackle a huge blaze at Nottingham train station at around 6:30am. The building, which has recently been refurbished, was evacuated after flames engulfed the station’s roof and foyer area.

“there is still a significant fire in there and crews are working in arduous conditions.”
Bryn Coleman, Incident commander

All train services have been suspended, causing frustration for commuters, and some main roads have been temporarily closed while the incident is ongoing.

The cause of the fire is still unknown, although it is believed to have started in a toilet. No injuries have been reported.

Incident Commander Bryn Coleman, at the scene, was unable to confirm whether the station would be back up and running tomorrow.

“Firefighter operations are continuing. The main area of interest we’ve got at the moment is the concord of the wooden bridge between platforms 2 and 4.

“There is still a significant fire in there and the crews are working in quite arduous conditions therefore we have to keep rotating crews at regular intervals.”

Many tram services have also been cancelled due to a police incident near the Arboretum area.  Waverly Street, a main city centre road, has been cordoned off while investigations takes place.

Nottinghamshire Police has issued a press release urging any witnesses to come forward after a man was tasered when being detained by police in connection with a robbery.

Widespread disruption across the city has been caused by tram closures. 

The knife-point robbery, in which the victim’s mobile phone was stolen, was reported on Talbot Street in Nottingham City Centre at 1:50am this morning.

The injured man has been taken to the Queen’s Medical Centre. A police officer was also injured during the incident.

Anyone with information is urged to call Nottinghamshire Police on 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111, quoting incident 32 of 12 January 2018.